Aren’t postits great? They remind us of so many things. Reminders are something we need every day for this, that, and the other. One beautiful soul reminded us this week that challenges are opportunities. One example can be taken from the Austin Street Center itself, of how challenge is married to opportunity. In the past, the houseless folks could only stay there in the evening, and checked in late afternoon. Now, due to COVID, they can stay all day at this location. This center services 350 people currently, and one staff person said they are working on arranging things so that 500 can stay there. What a great opportunity to help more people!
Thank you all for assisting their efforts with all your care packages! We are sending this to remind you we will be by for a pickup this Monday, the 28th. The list below is the same as last week’s; however, the lady in charge of the kitchen said that this month, they are especially needing breakfast items, so if anyone would like to focus on those, that is much appreciated, as is everything else.
Please let us know by Friday if you would like a pickup. If we have not texted you by Sunday evening as to when we will be by and you are wanting a pickup, then you will know that there has been a communication breakdown.. Thanks so much for understanding!
Please, no children’s items or household goods.. Due to space on our cars, we not taking clothes currently unless they are in packages and/or boxed. (no stains or tears please-nearly new)
Here is their wish list directly from their website (all the things you have been giving are happily received!!)
- Sanitizing Wipes (must contain 60% alcohol)
- Antibacterial Hand Soap (individual container or refill bottle)
- Clamshell Take-Out Food Containers (to use for serving meals). See Amazon Wish List
- Individual drinks, such as juice boxes, Capri Suns, Gatorade, water bottles
- Frozen breakfast foods
- Snacks: Individually packaged chips, fruit snacks, and crackers
- Individual packets of sugar and creamer
- Large and extra-large underwear for men and women
- Flip flops or shower shoes
- High strength reading glasses
- Feminine products: pads and panty liners
- Ethnic haircare products (oil-based shampoo and conditioner, edge control hair gel, herbal gro)
- Disposable razors
- Towels (new or gently used)
- Twin-size Blankets or Throws
- Short-sleeved t-shirts (for men and women)
- Shoes (for men and women), preferably tennis shoes and shower shoes
Gift cards to Sam’s Club, Walmart and Target can also go a long way toward helping us purchase these items!
(List from previously that they accept as well)
Individual portions of snacks like chips and/or individual portions of healthful cookies and desserts
Fruits like oranges, bananas
Peanut butter/almond butter sandwiches (with or without jelly, jam ,honey)
Vegetarian Sandwiches, ie, with veggie patties, cheese sandwiches or the likes…
Pantry items, (please no meat), and some examples/suggestions are as follows:
Nondairy milk in boxes, dry and canned beans and soups/soup mixes, condiments, jelly, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, millet, oats – please no white rice since many people have diabetes and sugar issues, protein powder, sauces, anything non-perishable that you yourself would eat, salsa, canned tomatoes, pizza crusts, nuts, seeds, packaged meals that don’t have to be refrigerated, nuts, taco shells, jelly/jam, etc., spices, healthful cooking oil, bars, pickles, condiments, cereals, etc.
Look forward to seeing you on Monday, September 28!
With love and blessings, Eric and Shakti
214-235-8324 and 214-394-0583