Director of Donations at the Austin Center, Libby Card, on the Right
Running a bit late, we showed up at the Center to drop all the wonderful items you all gave right at the time Libby came out of the Center. She was telling me how she simply came to the Center to volunteer, and instead landed a job, as she had just finished college to work for non-profit organizations. She told me how helping needy people like the houseless folks was really a part of her blood, as that is what her parents did as a part of their lifestyle. Thank you to all you parents for instilling the principle of helping those in our society who are very challenged into your children! As Libby is showing, they will never forget it.
Thank you all for the incredible giving again this week! It was all so appreciated, and the perishables, (ie sandwiches and such) were said by Libby to be used within 24 hours! Thank you all for your dynamic efforts!
Please let us know by Friday if you want a pickup. We will text you on late Sunday with the approximate time we will be by your place. If you have not received a text by us, know that something has gone awry and please notify us via phone that you are wanting a pickup. Thanks so much!!!
Here is the list of things needed, and of course you can use your creativity and inspiration to guide you for anything else:
Top three most needed items are listed first, and always they do say FOOD, when asked:
1) Breakfast items, especially frozen things like waffles, frozen breakfast sandwiches and such, or breakfast bars, etc
2) Men’s L and XL underwear; Women’s L and XL underwear and Socks for both men and women
3) Over the Counter Meds, especially seasonal ones like Nyquil, Tylenol, cough drops, etc. (I am thinking vitamins are a good idea….as vitamin D is supposed to really ward off things, etc. but she just mentioned the medicines—will ask her about this next time)
Please, no children’s items or household goods.. Due to space on our cars, we not taking clothes currently unless they are new and in packages and/or boxed.
- Sanitizing Wipes (must contain 60% alcohol)
- Antibacterial Hand Soap (individual container or refill bottle)
- Clamshell Take-Out Food Containers (to use for serving meals). See Amazon Wish List
- Individual drinks, such as juice boxes, Capri Suns, Gatorade, water bottles
- Frozen breakfast foods
- Snacks: Individually packaged chips, fruit snacks, and crackers
- Individual packets of sugar and creamer
- Large and extra-large underwear for men and women
- Flip flops or shower shoes
- High strength reading glasses
- Feminine products: pads and panty liners
- Ethnic haircare products (oil-based shampoo and conditioner, edge control hair gel, herbal gro)
- Disposable razors
- Towels (new or gently used)
- Twin-size Blankets or Throws
- Short-sleeved t-shirts (for men and women)
- Shoes (for men and women), preferably tennis shoes and shower shoes
Gift cards to Sam’s Club, Walmart and Target can also go a long way toward helping us purchase these items! These can be sent to Libby Card at the Austin Street Center.
(List from previously that they accept as well)
Individual portions of snacks like chips and/or individual portions of healthful cookies and desserts
Fruits like oranges, bananas
Peanut butter/almond butter sandwiches (with or without jelly, jam ,honey)
Vegetarian Sandwiches, ie, with veggie patties, cheese sandwiches or the likes…
Pantry items, (please no meat), and some examples/suggestions are as follows:
Nondairy milk in boxes, dry and canned beans and soups/soup mixes, condiments, jelly, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, millet, oats – please no white rice since many people have diabetes and sugar issues, protein powder, sauces, anything non-perishable that you yourself would eat, salsa, canned tomatoes, pizza crusts, nuts, seeds, packaged meals that don’t have to be refrigerated, nuts, taco shells, jelly/jam, etc., spices, healthful cooking oil, bars, pickles, condiments, cereals, etc.
Look forward to seeing you on Monday, October 5
With love and blessings, Eric and Shakti
214-235-8324 and 214-394-0583